To UPLOAD: Please register or Login
MuskieFIRST | WalleyeFIRST | SalmonFIRST | IceFishing | WhitetailFIRST | BassFIRST | OutdoorsFIRST Upload

Ice Fishing Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sled, tjmohr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

General Ice Fishing -> Ice Fishing Discussion -> How to choose best ice fishing reel to use

Message Subject: How to choose best ice fishing reel to use
Icefish563
Posted 2/24/2017 4:54 PM (#20360)
Subject: How to choose best ice fishing reel to use

What is the best ice fishing reel to use for panfish and what mskes it better then the rest? Open face spinning reel or inline reel? What are the pro/cons for these two for using on psnfish?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fishen-ski's
Posted 2/25/2017 12:42 PM (#20361 - in reply to #20360)
Subject: RE: How to choose best ice fishing reel to use

I just use cheap, small spinning reels. I like to move around a lot & hole
hop, so I like the speed to crank up my jig from 20' down and move on,
I also like fighting the fish up better on a spinning reel.
I tried the in-line reels & prefer spinning for ice fishing.
pro's for in-line would be less line twist & better line
control in the wind if your fishing outside a shack. a lot of
people prefer the in-line reel, so probably just a preference
deal..... I have both in my sled, just always grab for the spinning reel.
I don't like to spend a lot on ice reels, so I just find one that feels
pretty solid and usually get a number of years out of em.

Ice is out down here & gear is put away.....short season.
OFM On The Ice
Posted 2/27/2017 10:53 AM (#20363 - in reply to #20360)
Subject: Re: How to choose best ice fishing reel to use

I also prefer a spinning reel when targeting panfish especially if you are fishing in more than 10 feet of water, with the most of the in lines you will find your self peeling the line off by hand to get the bait back down to the fish so if you fish mostly shallow the in lines are actually pretty nice but not so much when fishing deep water. The spinning reel is my go to if im fishing more than 7 feet of water. One of the disadvantages of a spinning reel is the line keeps the memory until it straightens out so a small jig will spin for a bit before it settles down and a in line has line to no memory so there is little to no lure spinning which can make a big difference if your fishing finicky panfish, but it is definitely faster getting the jig back to the fish with a spinning reel. Im with fishen-ski's on the cheep reels they work very well and will last a very long time. Most of your high end reels come pre greased and are very stiff if the temps drop below 20 degrees. The cheaper reels have very little grease and usually are pretty smooth in low temps. I have both the in line rod and reel set up and a spinning rod and reel set up but to be honest I almost always grab the spinning reel. One other pro and con for each would be the storage of the reels if you use a hard case that the handle has to be loosened and folded over to allow the rod and reel to fit the in line will fit with out having to adjust to fit the case each time. So if you are using a hard case look for a spinning reel that has a button on the handle to break it over. That way it is very quick to put away and adjusts with just a flip of the reel handle when taking it out of the box to do some fishing. Hope that helps!

Edited by OFM On The Ice 2/27/2017 10:55 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)